In 1984, the What Have You Done for Me Lately performer secretly married DeBarge. Several of her siblings, including Ernestine, sisters Mamie and Margie, and her brothers, James and William Abney, had moved to Grand Rapids. She claimed that when Janet and James split up, she personally saw Janet pregnant, and that James was also aware of the alleged pregnancy. This story has been shared 158,551 times. So that rumor started going around.. Distractify is a registered trademark. Had he lived one year longer, I never would have married Robert DeBarge, she said. At 17, Etterlene and her twin sister were hanging out at their favorite place, the roller rink, when she met an Army soldier named Robert Barnes. DeBarge was one of the few Motown success stories of the 1980s. Like BlackAmericaWeb.com onFacebook. 1 R&B singles, a No. Tommy and Bobby were the first of Mama Ds brood to strike out in the music world. Sadly, it seems that the once-talented singer's legacy and claim to fame is tied up with the women in his life: his daughter, Kristinia DeBarge, and his ex-wife Janet Jackson. She has earned countless honors and recognition for her lifetime contribution as a performer. "She has been denying me for many years. Weve kept up somewhat of a relationship, so I do feel like I know him, Kendall said. But now, shes sharing encouragement almost every day through status updates and videos on her Facebook page, where she has 4,451 friends. "He said, 'Okay, I'll be right back,'" Jackson said. ", The pair began dating in the early '80s, when Jackson was 16 and DeBarge was in his late teens, gaining his own fame with music hits like "Rhythm of the Night." Also, in 2017, a woman Tiffany Whyte claimed to be the daughter of DeBarge and Jackson in an interview with Radar Online. And its time for everyone else to do the same.. One of her adoptive parents died, he said. How could I keep a child from their father? Thats because Mama D has lived through enough heartache and joy to plot 10 miniseries. At the end of the day, the Peanut Man would head out for his second job at a factory. He returned to music in 2010 with his comeback album, Second Chance . In the documentary, Janet says, point blank, "I could never keep a child from James. The first time was two years ago. In the recent docuseries, Jackson madeno mention of her relationshipwith Al Mana, despite being open about other men in her life. After they eloped to Grand Rapids, Michigan, where they were married by DeBarges uncle I even remember putting a ring on my finger and putting it on the wrong finger, said Jackson the groom left his bride alone on their wedding night. He led an equally turbulent personal life, in which he allegedly fathered some 10 children with six women. In 1984, the What Have You Done for Me Lately performer secretly married DeBarge. She confirmed it on the deathbed., James said he always had his suspicions that Janet had a baby. I dont know, maybe its this person in me that wants to help people. However, the marriage was annulled just one year later in 1985. She would always remind us of who we are in God.. Hes my dad. Thats the thing, is the innocence. Blogger Joy Sewing at 29-95.com captured this moment with the singer at a recent in-store at Serious Sounds Record in Houston: (For 22 years), DeBarge lived on and off the streets of Los Angeles using drugs . Kristinia appeared on 2003's Sign up for notifications from Insider! The miniseries will be based on her 2008 self-published memoir, The Other Side of the Pain., God will receive the glory from this miniseries, she said. I went on a search. DeBarge and Jackson secretly got married in 1984, with Jackson getting the blessings from her sister LaToya Jackson. 'Snowfall' Withdrawal: See The Original Actors That John Singleton Casted, Prom Rundown: Erica Dixon And Tammy Riveras Daughters Nailed Their Prom Looks, The Fall Of Franklin: 'Snowfall' Finale Told Its Best Life Lesson With Lead Star's Demise, North Carolina Police Investigating Viral Fight Between Student and Substitute Teacher, Rest In Power: Notable Black Folks Who Weve Lost In 2023, Janet Jackson & Jermaine Dupri Get Touchy Backstage of ATL Concert [Video], Simone Biles Marries Houston Texans Jonathan Owens, Bitter Twitter Arrives With Hate, Protect Our Recipes: Black Twitter Forms Like Voltron To Keep Oxtail Out of Colonizers Freezers. Soon after the couple married, the young bride found out her groom had a dark side, only hinted at during their short courtship. I could never keep a child away from James. Janet Jackson is shutting down the long-standing rumors that she gave birth to and hid a child during her year-long marriage to her ex-husband, James DeBarge. I could never do that. It depends on who you ask, but we're gonna go with what Janet Jackson herself says which is no. Well James supposedly tells Radar Online that a young woman claiming to be his daughter recently reached out to him, wanting a paternity test. The four-part docuseries includes never-before-seen footage and gives fans an intimate look at the making of her music. Mama didnt look at her children as addicts, Peaches said. His 16-year-old daughter, Kendall, is seated nearby for the interview. In 2004, the Escapade singer underwent intense scrutiny when she experienced an infamous wardrobe malfunction while performing at theSuper Bowl Halftime Showwith Justin Timberlake. Drugs happen to good people, Mama D said. Top editors give you the stories you want delivered right to your inbox each weekday. Janet Jackson never forgot her former mother-in-law. #ControlTheNarrative #Iconic Janet4ever @lifetimetv, That said, Bunny didn't buy it. Jackson and DeBarge a member of his familys singing group, DeBarge, which had several hit songs in the 1980s eloped in 1984 when she was 18 years old and he was 21. Mama D moved to California for a few years to support her children and be there for them as they grappled with newfound fame. I was under the impression that there was no baby, and I wanted to believe its not true. DeBarge said the woman asked ifthey could take a paternity test, but it hasnt happened yet because hes afraid to meet her. "I still love garage sales, through thick and thin." I was extremely fearful of him. The 55-year-old artist addressed the rumours in the second part of the forthcoming documentary Janet, along with a number of other gossip items she had heard about herself over the years. But I wasnt the help that he needed., After one year, the couples marriage was dissolved. James' bombastic revelation came at a particularly sensitive time, as Janet was expecting her first child at 50, and gave birth to her son Eissa Al Mana in January 2017. Despite solo success he has also battled addiction and has been in and out of prison for cocaine and heroin possession. Janet Jackson and DeBarge have tied the knot in September 1984. Though, the couple divorced in November 1985. It was reported that Jackson married DeBarge in order that she might take management of her life as an alternative of being managed by Joe Jackson, her father. Her top-selling albums includeControl, The Velvet Rope, Rhythm Nation 1814,andUnbreakable. The Grammy-winning Rhythm Nation artist married DeBarge in 1984, when she was just 18. Access your favorite topics in a personalized feed while you're on the go. Thank you for subscribing! In her new Lifetime and A&E documentary, Janet Jackson denied rumors that she secretly had a daughter with her then-husband James DeBarge in the 1980s. Janet Jackson's first husband, James DeBarge is the father of three children and was a singer in a famous band. Once upon a time, Janet Jackson of the fabulous musical Jackson clan eloped with James DeBarge, from another famous singing family, the DeBarges. In the 80s, the DeBarge group was on the rise, even as the Jackson 5 faltered due to Michael Jackson's "defection," and James and Janet's marriage was big news. This story has been shared 147,544 times. Immediately, comparisons were made between the fresh-faced DeBarge siblings and the Jackson 5. That eventually led to the duo deciding to get married in 1984, with Jackson getting a blessing from LaToya though she kept her plans hidden from the rest of her family. He chastised them like they were his own, and he invested and deposited into them many qualities. Paris Jackson Is in a New Hulu Movie but She Certainly Doesn't Need the Money! In her new docuseries, Janet Jackson reminisced about her. This led to their annulment in 1985, but was there a secret between them? When you get this message, I want to know you are smiling. It was so much fun, and my daddy was so creative and gifted at music. As Janet prepares to have a baby at age 50 with new hubby Wissam Al Mana, rumors of this secret love child have come roaring back. Bunny DeBarge says the speculation of a secret daughter has haunted the family for decades. ", "I don't know why anyone would trust me," DeBarge joked during his appearance in the docuseries. That same article claimed that the DeBarge family launched an investigation to find the child. 1 single on the dance chart and three No. Still, the DeBarges never ascended to the rarefied atmosphere of the Jackson familys brand of fame. Etterlene was further convinced after she and Tiffany took a DNA test which said, "the probability of relatedness is 96.7%. In 2014, DeBarge was arrested on suspicion of possessing methamphetamine. That filial love was put to the test just a few years later, after the quartet DeBarge (soon to be a quintet when brother James joined the group), became one of the most successful R&B/pop groups of the 80s. William Abney and his wife hailed from the South. In those days, it was unheard of and taboo for a white man to date a black girl.. And at that time I thought that there was no other way I would be able to kind of get my own life unless I got married.. Their first child was a girl, Etterlene Bunny DeBarge, born in 1955. Celebrities That Had Kids At A Shockingly Young Age. It was very painful for them; they were so close, and they couldnt see themselves as not working together. The pair were married when Jackson was 18 and DeBarge was 21. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Thanks for contacting us. Theres no way it could not have been hidden. I could never do that, that's not right.. The music industry churned up the siblings, and several of them succumbed to the intense pressure and readily available drugs and became addicts. I just want my child to know Im her father.. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. It seems no matter where Janet Jackson turns, she deals with control in some form or another. Their mother had now said goodbye to six of her children. ", I have been a MAJOR @JanetJackson fan for YEARS! "There are a lot of nights that I would go searching the streets looking for him eight o'clock in the morning, four o'clock in the morning," Jackson said. Beloved Dancing with the Stars Judge Len Goodman Dies at 78, Jonathan Majors Dropped By Valentino, Wont Attend The Met Gala. Some of the fabricated stories included her niece being her daughter and another child she supposedly gave to her brother Jackie to raise. Bobby was Switch.. "I remember times when I would find the pills and I would take them and try to flush them down the toilet, and we would be rolling around on the floor fighting for them, that's not a life for anyone," Jackson said in the documentary. The siblings met Jermaine Jackson in an elevator; he asked them to sing for him and, once again, was all in, signing the group to Motown Records. She spoke about how DeBarge left her alone in a hotel room for three hours. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. "I don't know, maybe it's this person in me that wants to help people," she recalled. In 1984, James DeBarge married Janet Jackson in Bishop Abneys office at Bethel Pentecostal Church. WebJackson's former mother-in-law, Etterlene DeBarge, believes she had a secret daughter decades ago with her son, James. My mother wore an apron, which was always wet because she was constantly scrubbing clothes with lye soap for her 11 children. She didnt want to get her mom in trouble. I was so fast at bagging those peanuts, Mama D said. Please check your email for confirmation from us. She got very angry. It would have to be hidden from me if she wasnt a part of my life all the time and I didnt know anything about her, he explained. James Abney moved to Grand Rapids with his brother, William Jr., his fathers namesake, who would become Bishop Abney, a legend in the Grand Rapids community for his leadership at Bethel Pentecostal Church, 834 Lake Drive SE. Hopefully, now that she has set the record straight about her supposed secret child, everyone can move on from that rumor as well. But it is, he told his daughter Kristinia DeBarge in a November 2016 episode of the WE tv series Growing Up Hip Hop. Janet Jackson airs Friday and Her granddaughter Kristinia released her first album, on Island Def Jam Records, under the mentorship of Kenneth Babyface Edmonds, and the disc produced the No. I dont know, maybe its this person in me that wants to help people subconsciously. He said, Okay, Ill be right back. And Im sitting in ahotel room in Grand Rapids, Michigan, by myself, just 18. Heres what she had to say. Together with Grand Rapids native Greg Williams and Philip Ingram, James Ingrams brother, they formed the funk group Switch under the patronage of Jermaine Jackson, who was blown away by their ability to switch to different instruments during a song. In 1991, she married Rene Elizondo, Jr., her former backup dancer. Advertisement Simply put, Jackie Jackson raised the alleged daughter of Janet Jackson. Janet Jackson's ex-husband, singer James DeBarge, just dropped an alleged baby bombshell. In her new A&E docuseries, pop icon Janet Jackson says her first husband James DeBarge left her alone at a hotel for three hours right after they got married. I always root for them, but I know they are human.. Although this is the first time weve physically met, I do feel a connect. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy Agreement. The film, simply titled Janet, will also address many of the rumors that have swirled around the singer-actress for years. @JanetJackson @lifetimetv #JanetJacksonDoc #ICON #JanFam #JanetJackson #JanetDoc pic.twitter.com/4Xh5MrDrZ6, Jackson claimed that she and DeBarge would frequently fight over his drug use. People loved to hear our family sing.. Of the DeBarge children who struggled with drug and alcohol abuse, some of them ended up serving hard time in prison for drug-related offenses, including Bobby, El and Chico. Janet Jackson is shutting down long-standing rumors that she and first husband James DeBarge welcomed a secret child during their year-long marriage. as well as other partner offers and accept our. And I thought it was wise for me to speak out now because it needs to be addressed., To be honest with you, I didnt know, he continues. Jackson and DeBarge eloped in late 1984, when she was 18 and he was 21, but their marriage was annulled around eight months later. Bobbys legacy with Switch lives on: The funk band has been covered and sampled by the likes of Ne-Yo and Rich Boy. She also talked about her new jewelry line, Kendallicious Kreations. It wasnt easy for us to see each other being that she was very well protected by her mom and dad, said DeBarge. During the first episode of the documentary, which aired Friday night, the "Rhythm Nation" singer talked about how their wedding day led to her suspicions that DeBarge was using drugs. Ron Galella, Ltd./Ron Galella Collection via Getty Images. So, did Janet Jackson have a secret child? Mama said, Please be careful, I love you, God be with you. arrested on suspicion of possessing methamphetamine. Rumors began swirling in the tabloids that she was pregnant. I was hurt and I didnt know why I was hurt, he said. We found 107 80s acts on tour in 2023. Who are they? The When I Think of You singer explained, Back in the day, they were saying that I had a child and I kept it secret. She said, I could never keep a child away from James. We've received your submission. Hesaidthe womanclaimed that Janet was her biological mother. But we were very happy and loved.. We don't know how, but Etterlene thought then 31 Ooh he liked to embarrass me.". The pair were married when Jackson was 18 and DeBarge was 21. Kendall is honing her own talent as a singer, pianist and actress. I dont care how no good I was, he said in that letter. In her "Janet Jackson" documentary, the singer says DeBarge's drug use led to his long absences. Fellow stars including Mariah Carey, Missy Elliott, Janelle Mone, Paula Abdul and Tyler Perry also contributed to the series. Three months after giving birth, the couple separated, citing cultural differences. According to People, there were even rumors that her brother Randys daughter belonged to her because they looked alike. I could never do that, thats not right.. I didnt know. And the woman who escaped years of harrowing abuse and raised 10 musically gifted children has found a new calling: ministering to wounded people through word and song on the Internet. I liked Janet a lot, Mama D said. "I could never keep a child away from James," Jackson said. Ive been able to stop people from killing themselves more than once. (Robert) moved so fast, Mama D said. He took advantage of me being naive and 17 without a father to help guide me.. When we got married and came back to the hotel, he said, OK, Ill be right back,' she recalled of their wedding night. Though she admitted they were probably related in some way, Tiffany looked nothing like James or Janet. Blogger Joy Sewing at 29-95.com captured this moment with the singer at a recent in-store at Serious Sounds Record in Houston: That was the first red flag for Janet, who spent many nights searching the streets for him, often as late as 8 oclock in the morning. "He'd say, 'Will someone please wake my sister up?' While it's I was so depressed by it at first.. She continued: "I cared so much for him, and I saw the good in him as well, and I just wanted that to take precedence as opposed to this ugliness, because I knew that he needed help. By day, Abney sold peanuts as a street vendor, enlisting his children to help. My brother became a giant like his father when it came to directing choirs at Bethel, Mama D said. He kept me continuously pregnant, she said. She also attributed weight gain at that time to the birth control she was on. DeBarge claims that in the emails he received from the woman, he was told that Jackson had allegedly put her up for adoption. Friends of Etterlene DeBarge know if theyre feeling blue, a quick call to Mama Ds cellphone will pick them right up even if she doesnt answer. In the limelight, they were surrounded by alcohol, drugs and sex. Selling over 100 million records, the five-time Grammy winner has been awarded 11 American Music Awards, 10 MTV Video Music Awards, and 11 Billboard Music Awards. He also cooked up steak sandwiches, sweet potato pies and other soul foods he could hawk on the streets of Detroit. The following year, the marriage was annulled. They didnt know what they were doing, bless their hearts. Janet Jackson, a two-night four-part documentary, premieres on Jan. 28 at 8:00 p.m. EST on Lifetime. Cause I knew that he needed help. When Chico had the idea five years ago to buy his mother a computer and launch her ministry online This is where God wants you, he told her she thought he was crazy. We don't know how, but Etterlene thought then 31-year-old Philadelphia native Tiffany Whyte was the daughter of James DeBarge and Janet Jackson. 3 dance hit Goodbye., DeBarge also just found out a major film studio is going to produce a miniseries about her family, a la the 1992 ABC five-part series on the Jackson family. In a recently aired Lifetime and A&E documentary about her life, Jackson talked about growing up in a family of performers. The "Janet Jackson" documentary premieres as a two-night event starting Friday, January 28 on Lifetime and A&E. He was insanely jealous, she said. Troubled Singer El DeBarge spoke with Allhiphop.com about his recent arrest, drug problems and his struggles to 2 Night Documentary Event ? Fames murky side showed itself in time. We all thought it was a nightmare.. When it comes to relationships, somehow Im attracted to people that use drugs., Binge watching old interviews ? James' mother, Etterlene DeBarge, also spoke with Inside Edition because she believed she found James' child. It was dangerous to the point that I was afraid to go outside.. Filmed over the course of five years, Janet examines the stars personal life, as well as featuring archival footage of some of the biggest moments from Jacksons music career, including the infamous 2004 Super Bowl performance with Justin Timberlake. All Rights Reserved. When the pop star would tour through Grand Rapids, she always made sure Mama D had tickets to the show. Someone had contacted me. The people there loved the Lord and loved on us. ("~2}OGx#,W{wX40?[3p+{_}]cnNlta=7\(~jlNGcz1-gX%6~VOk'nMEm>Yk#Bmx s f8_E'XiN{#va;/$2?pXpon'F{903GoZ\kc lhi#- t.|kn/SHg}mhQ2r{2{Bo!^+=pV2)sobs l7~l>3K^4^O>t0as]bsg=Fp}qxywJzV^,,9osnl; w This is the first time Ive seen her in 15 years. I cared so much for him, and I saw the good in him as well, and I just wanted that to take precedence as opposed to this ugliness. I dont need a pulpit; Ive got the Internet. Within days of hearing their demo tape, Jackson signed the group to the Motown Records subsidiary label, Gordy, which released their self-titled debut album in 1978. That has haunted the family a long time I think we all believe that James and Janet had a child.. The marriage, however, was short-lived (Janets father, Joe, had the union annulled within a year), but like his brother, Bobby, James became close to Janets brother, Michael. After Jackson had finally had enough, it culminated with them getting an annulment in 1985. He told me if I used birth control I would go to hell.. But DeBarge described their history as a young love story. I could never do that, that's not right.". DeBarge says the woman wanted to keep their new connection private. The superstar believes the rumor began when she was filming the 1980s television show, Fame. Robert battered the children, too, especially Bobby. Finally, in the mid-70s, Mama D had had enough. She was angry because another child was trying to come forward and say that she was our child. And for three hours, he never came back. DeBarge was convicted decades later, in 2011, of possession of a controlled substance. They didnt want us to have anything, he said. But I wasnt the help that he needed.. In Friday's episodes, Jackson also finally addressed a decades-long rumor that she and DeBarge had a "secret child." He was a sweet guy. Jackson said that while she thought of him as a sweet guy, their union ultimately ended because of his addiction to cocaine. Born in Detroit in 1935, she and her twin sister, Ernestine, were the youngest girls in William and Bessie Abneys family of 11 children. Mama Ds children never met their grandfather, who died at the age of 56. So, did Janet has a secret love child? (Her mother was married to DeBarge in the 90s, and they have a son, Josh. Son Bobby was born the next year, followed by Tommy, Randy, Marty, El, James and Jonathan Chico. Twins Darrell and Carol, aka Peaches, were born in 1971. After decades of rumors about Janet Jackson and James DeBarges daughter and claims they had a secret child before their divorce, the conspiracy theories When I realized addiction was a sickness, it helped me deal with it better. Etterline was just 16. So she did out of anger.. I could never do that, thats not right." ThePoetic Justicestar gave birth to her first and only child, Eissa, in 2017. Mama D, she understands my pain, she said, smiling a dazzling smile. As Janet prepares to have a baby at age 50 with new hubby Wissam Al Mana, rumors of this secret love child have come roaringback. I do believe my mother being up and age now [81] ran with it once the DNA came back that she was 96 percent kin, Bunny said. Someday, we will all be free, she said. Follow us onTwitter. Janet did eventually become a mum, giving birth to a son Eissa in January 2017, shortly before her split from businessman husband Wissam Al Mana. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. r0^[H,4hdkm n -6h;f&b\g8wy+? Janet Jackson's new Lifetime documentary promises to answer questions, but it also addresses rumors. She even shares a harrowing story of rolling around on the floor with James, fighting to take pills from him. 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. Someone was working with them.. WebDeBarge has three children: daughter Kristinia (born March 8, 1990), son James, Jr. (born 1998), and his youngest, daughter Tori (born 2001). When you have somebody say youre too heavy, it affects you.. Despite her familys future R&B stylings, DeBarge has always much preferred gospel music and romantic ballads by the likes of Nat King Cole. Bobby began dating Jermaines sister, LaToya, around the same time his four younger siblings Bunny, El, Marty and Randy decided to move to Los Angeles in pursuit of music stardom. We were very poor, but we didnt realize we were poor it was all we knew, she said. Questions still loom if Tiffany could be Janet Jacksons daughter or if the singer had a child in the late 80s, and her former mother-in-law, Etterlene DeBarge, is on a quest for the truth. by her father Joe Jackson, whose abusive methods turned her brothers into The Jackson Five. Janet Jackson reveals Michael Jackson teased her about weight in new doc, Janet Jackson talks growth, body confidence and aging on cover of Allure magazine, Janet Jackson talks brother Michaels molestation accusations in documentary trailer. ), Its a lifetime journey, and we are all in the journey to be free. Janet Jackson has dismissed a long-running rumour that she had a secret child with her first husband, James DeBarge, during the year they were married. James' mother, Etterlene DeBarge, also spoke with Inside Edition because she believed she found James' child. Enter The Mostyn Law and 1-800-TRUCKWRECK 5K For Mother's Day Giveaway!! She didnt even want Janet to know., She described as much as she could tell me because she was very fearful at the time, he continued. He kept me pregnant, and it was very difficult for me to know what to do with 10 children. More than anything, I want to heal the world through my pain., E-mail the author of this story: [emailprotected]. Subconsciously, when it comes to relationships, somehow Im attracted to people that use drugs..
Eagle View Middle School Staff, What Happened To Sherman's Shoulder On Barnwood Builders, Jani And Bodhi Schofield 2021, California Auto Body Labor Rate Survey, Articles E